To relieve you from dry skin, these are the tips we recommend:
1. Keep your baths & showers short: do not extend your bath or shower for more then 5-10min. When you bathe for a long time, you may loose much of the skin’s oily layer and cause it to loose moisture. Use lukewarm and not hot water with mild cleanser.
2. Avoid skin care products with fragrance: Read ingredients on your skin products. Alcohol-based toners, deodorant soaps, and skin care products that contain fragrance can irritate dry skin.
3. Avoid wearing fabrics that can irritate your skin: Wear fabrics such as 100 percent cotton. Wear a soft fabric underneath if you decide to wear wool or any other rough fabric.
4. Make moisturizer your best friend: Always apply moisturizer after washing your hands or bathing. This helps plug the spaces between your skin cells and seal in moisture while your skin is still damp. Use petroleum jelly on your skin before heading off to bed, if more relief is required. Use waterproof gloves, if your hands are frequently immersed in water.
5. To add moisture in the air, use a humidifier: Set it to around 60%, a level that should be sufficient to replenish the top layer of the skin.
6. Avoid scratching the affected area: Try not to scratch the affected area. If you keep scratching, you’ll likely make it worse and sometimes cause it to bleed. You can use a moisturizer or cold pack to control the itch or an anti-itch cream like Sarna lotion.
Sometimes dry irritated skin can be a sign of medical condition, such as eczema. If these tips do not bring relief, make an appointment to see a dermatologist. Irritated skin may require a prescription ointment or cream.